

Well, Ben and Lucy have entered the world! The surgery went well on Saturday, and I'm recovering well. Ben was born first at 8:30am. He weighed 6 lbs 7 oz, and was 20 inches long. Lucy was born at 8:32am and weighed 6 lbs 5 oz and was 19.5 inches long.
Ben came out feet first and took a gulp of amniotic fluid on his way out. He is still in the NICU, but doing very well. He just needed some help breathing and getting all the fluid out of his lungs. He has a mild case of pneumonia, but is responding to the antibiotics and is almost breathing all on his own. He'll probably come home early next week.
Lucy came out head first and is doing just wonderfully. She has eating, pooping, and sleeping down pat! So far she seems to have a calm, mild temperament, but then it is only day 4!
It doesn't seem like I have twins, since I haven't been able to hold both at once or take pictures of them side by side. On the plus side, I haven't had to deal with two babies screaming at the same time either! We know Ben is in good hands and making good progress, so we're enjoying this time to bond with Lucy and then will have more energy to bond with Ben next week.
I'll try to post more photos later, but for now I need to get to bed. Thanks for all your prayers and support. And don't worry about Ben--the doctors told us from the beginning that it's never been a fear that he'd not make it or have lasting effects from his experience. He just needs to get all better before he comes home. We do appreciate any prayers for him, and the rest of us though! Have a good night.
Both babies are GORGEOUS! I'm jealous that you're not pregnant anymore, but not so much about the two babies! I'm glad Lucy is home and you're 'easing' into twins. Of course that doesn't mean that I'm happy Ben is still in the NICU. Sounds like he'll be fine, though, but we'll keep him in our prayers, as well as the rest of the Howes Seven!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Rachel! What a beautiful family you have ... and now a little girl to add to the boy bunch. Hurray!
ReplyDeleteMy boy, Charlie, had to spend a week in NICU while I took his brother, Xander, home. I was really worried that he and I wouldn't bond as much because I could never really hold him for so long and Xan was sleeping with me from the first night.
A kind pediatrician working the hospital the weekend my twins were born told me that it would all balance out ... and he was right!
Everyone gets what they need, all the love, all the attention. One time you need to give more to one, but the other will get their chance too. It will be the most wonderful adventure you've been on!
Believe it or not, I miss my boys' baby days. It was such a precious gift to hold both of them at the same time. It was amazing.
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Twins!
I feel so lucky that I got to hold Lucy! Can't wait to hold Ben, too. You have a great attitude about it all. Let me know when you're running low on freezer meals and I'll try to "whip up" some more!
ReplyDeleteWow! They are so stinkin cute! I'm glad everything went well for you! Kasen was in the NICU for 10 days with pneumonia as well. Those 10 days seemed like forever at the time. Now that he's 3 1/2, I wish I could go back to the newborn stage (minus the NICU.) You love those babies as much as you can now!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to see more pics!
Congratulations Rachel, the babies are beautiful! I am also excited to hold Ben and be able to see the babies side by side. Good Luck!
ReplyDeletelol, ben looks a little confused in his pic! They really are so adorable and it really is making me jealous that you're done and I still have 4 1/2 weeks left.
ReplyDeleteYour babies are so beautiful. I am happy to know you are all healthy and doing well. They definitely came out of the "H" mold.
ReplyDeleteYour Aunt.
PS: Hello to Lovin' Mama! You are the freezer meal queen if there ever was one :) lol
They are so adorable! Good Luck Rachel with the sweet twins and your family! :) I love that you can keep up updated with your blog!
ReplyDelete